Saturday, March 17, 2007

Fight of My Life


Don't give up. Don't ever give up. – Jimmy "V" Valvano

I am certain these legendary words were spoken long before former North Carolina State Head Coach Jimmy "V" Valvano ever used them; and I am quite certain these words will be spoken by many future leaders for decades and perhaps even centuries to come.

But it is the manner in which Coach V spoke these words that make them so unique and thus truly inspirational. Weakened with terminal cancer, Coach V graciously accepted the first ever Arthur Ashe Courage and Humanitarian Award at the 1993 ESPY awards. During his speech, he announced the creation of the "V Foundation" and its commitment to finding a cure to cancer. The foundation's motto, he proclaimed, would be, "Don't give up. Don't ever give up." Sadly, Coach V lost his battle to cancer less than two months later

Don't give up.

It can be applied to nearly ever aspect of life – from the child learning to ride his bike without training wheels to the President of the United States working with a bipartisan Congress; to the single mom struggling to raise three kids while working and going back to school. Never give up.

This is how I have chosen to live my life. Without exception, it is my personal motto. I am neither impressive nor inspirational. Just stubborn and determined. Relentlessly determined.

The rationale behind 'never give up' is quite simple. I will give it my all. And in the end, if I do not make it, I can be comforted in knowing that I put forth my best effort and did not relent in the pursuit. For that reason, I can never truly fail in life. It's the difference between dying for something; and dying for nothing.

Because I will give it my everything, I cannot fear failure or defeat. Only my own internal demons…those demons which taunt me with thoughts of quitting the fight, with settling for mediocrity, or giving in at my own sacrifice. These are the same demons which taunt each and every one of us. They are there with us when we awaken each morning and close our eyes at night. They challenge us at work and in school, on the court and in the home. Waiting for us at just that precise moment when we feel most vulnerable. Alone. And defeated.

But I am not alone; and I am strong. So I cannot be defeated. Just as long as I never give up.

So I will never give up. Ever.

4 comments:

adam said...

I have found that people who are relentlessly determined truly are the most impressive and inspirational. Maybe this is just because I agree with this post 100%.

Speaking of relentless (and in response to your re-comment) . . .I just saw Phil Kochik today! I was biking into Seattle for the peace rally when I saw him on the I-90 bridge running back from Cougar! I couldn't find your email on the blog but had to get back to you when I saw your comment about Phil. I don't know him really well but I see him at races every once and awhile and at the SRC. Here is my email: poincenot at yahoo.com

Tiny Seal said...

Very true and transparent post. Drifted off here from Catra's blog.

i understand the stubborn and determined aspect of the way you feel, am guilty of the same qualities. But to be fair, we should also realize the point where we should stop being stubborn for our own good when it might lead to self destruction. For example, i trained for a 50k run in 2005 and ended up wearing out my meniscus. Not all of us have the genes like Dirt Diva :-)

Anyway, good luck with your training! Look forward to your progress reports :-)

Alikona said...

Thanks Adam! You rock. You'll be be back running at full speed in no time...and you'll be stronger too!
Hugs,
Kona

Alikona said...

Hey Tiny Seal -- Absolutely! Couldn't agree more...but I don't quite think of it as "giving up" per se, as it is simply "re-adjusting." Life throws a lot of curve balls and we just have to get smarter and more creative with handling them.

Glad to see you are enjoying swimming. I used to be a swimmer and still do some masters workouts here and again. Have you done the Alcatraz swim? That's a little too nutty for me...I'm terrified of sharks. ;)

Best,
Alikona