Saturday, March 10, 2007

How I Ended Up Paying $180 for My $80 Citation

I just returned from that grimey county building they call the Sacramento Courthouse where I begrudgingly went to contest my $117 citation for supposedly having my dog offleash in the American River Parkway. Despite a sympathetic D.A., I still ended up having to plea "no contest" to a reduced fine of $82...but as a result of another stranger's misfortune....I left the courthouse $180 in the hole.

First, a little background...

About a month ago, I took Teddy with me to the Tuesday night running workout which is staged in a pretty vacant business circle behind the CostCo in Sacramento. I rescued Teddy from an abusive home and while he has made significant progress over the year, he still goes a slight ballistic over certain things, e.g., bicycles and trucks. On the suggestion of my personal dog trainer, I brought him to the workout so that we could practice walking/heeling on a leash and learning how to "stay" and "leave it" when trucks drive by (since this is a business circle, there are a lot of big rigs that come and go). All was going good and I was even starting to think to myself, "Wow, Teddy really is beginning to mellow out," when I stupidly kneeled down to adjust his collar. I had scarcely blinked an eye, when he pulled a Houdini trick and was off and running away as fast as I could, intent on playing his favorite game, "catch me if you can!"

At first he headed towards the Business 160 freeway and as I ran after him, tears began welling up in my eyes when I thought that I was about to watch my dog get kareemed by oncoming traffic. But, the sight of dinner (squirrel) veered him back towards the AR parkway and bike trail where we then paraded into a homeless camp. Before I knew it, a woman on a bicycle was screaming on the top of her lungs at Teddy...he was more than 50 yards away from her... "get out of the f*K#Hing way, dog" and screaming bloody murder as if he were attacking her. As I said, he wasn't even near her at this point. But to a dog who was already scared of bikes, this only fired him up and he immediately changed directions and started running after the spinning wheels. She began throwing stuff at him, only further aggravating him and his incessant vicious barking. As I would get closer, he would only sprint faster away from me. It was awful, just awful.

Soon, a park ranger came up in her truck and with the crazy bicycling lady still yelling, we managed to get him back on his leash and calmed down. The bicyclist threatened to call the police, but the ranger calmed her down enough and convinced her to leave. Still shaken up by the drama (all of this transpired over about one hour's time), I was shocked when the ranger started scolding me about running along the parkway with my dog off-leash. Was she joking?? I frantically explained the situation and swore that I had never intentionally (nor would I ever) let my dog - especially this wild one - off-leash in a public area. Never! She seemed to believe me, but said that this crazy lady really was crazy, called to complain weekly, and guaranteed that she would call to report this incident. She proceeded to write me up for having my dog off-leash and said the fine was something like $10, to which I said I would gladly pay.

So...imagine my shock one week later, when I received an official traffic court citation (how was this traffic court related??) and a fine of $117!?!?! I was furious. And still upset by the whole thing. I called about it, and was told that I could contest it and if I explained what happened, they might dismiss it but they would probably just reduce it or allow me to do community service. Are you kidding me?!?! What did I do wrong?

As it was, I went to the courthouse today and listened for about an hour as dozens upon dozens of "citizens" - most of them not so exemplary, if you catch my drift - got up before the judge and plead guilty, not guilty or no contest to various infractions of speeding, running red lights, not having proof of insurance, or getting on the LightRail without paying. Not long before me, a middle-aged man who apparently had some mental handicap for he could not read and could scarcely speak in audible sentences, got up and was charged with littering and digging through trash. He did not appear to understand the charge as he stood smiling and shrugging his shoulders when asking how to plea. The judge asked what it was he had been looking for and he said "McDonald's Hamburgers." He admitted and the judge told him to go to the next room to pay fine of $88.

Soon after, I plead not guilty and then ushered outside to a cute DA who was probably not much older than me. {I saw him do a double-take at my tan, runner's legs as I walked into the room in my flattering skirt.] He practically laughed when he opened my file and heard my story but stated that they are very strict about this citation (why again? I must ask) and he could only offer a reduced fee of $82 ($35 less). We briefly talked about the principal of it all and he agreed with me but said there was nothing more he could do, though he wish he could. Yeah right. He said nothing would go on my record and he wished me well.

So I trucked off to the "Fines" room and waited in line to pay. Actually, I wasn't at all mad or upset. I was "fine" with the fact that I had to pay this amount and I hoped it would get put to good use in the parkway. I just wanted the rangers and everyone to know that I had not intentionally allowed my dog off-leash. I fully accept the responsibilites of having a dog and I always try to do my best to prevent situations that could be potentially harmful to Teddy or any others. This was just an extremely unfortunate situation. Bottom line. And I was willing to pay the fine.

What I was not willing to do was watch as this man - who couldn't afford to buy his own 29 cent hamburgers - have to pay $88 for a fine. And I am strong opponent of littering and do not, in any way, condone his actions, but he clearly did not understand what he was doing was wrong, yet alone understand as to why he was having to pay $88. And yet, here he was, standing at the collections desk and struggling to find the words to ask the clerk how he could pay it. The clerk almost coldly responded that he could pay by credit card monthly but there would be an additional $35 fee for each month, to which the man agreed to pay (still smiling). Why did this scene bother me so much??

As luck would have it, I was called up by the same clerk right after this man and, struggling to fight back tears, I asked the clerk if I could pay for my fine and the "gentleman who was just here." The clerk looked up, dumbfounded by the question. "Do you know him?" he asked me. "No, I just want to help." And I gave him my credit card. The clerk didn't quite know what to say, but he went over to his supervisor and after some whispering and strange looks at me, he came back and said they would do it (and waive the man's $35 monthly fee). The supervisor disappeared into the main lobby (I found out later that she had run off to find the man and tell him that a stranger had offered to pay his fine and he was off the hook.) As I signed my name on the receipt for $181.50 (there was an $11.50 service charge for credit cards), the clerk remarked, "Wow that was a really nice gesture," just as the DA whom had reduced my fee walked by and looked up at me, also totally puzzled by my recent action. (First, I was contesting to have my fine reduced or dismissed and now I was agreeing to pay almost double the original amount for something that I didn't even do?!?!) I was still fighting back tears, so I weakly smiled, thanked them both for their help and told them to have a nice day and good weekend.

As I walked into the main lobby, the gentleman whose fine I had just paid came up to me and seeming confused spoke, "someone just said i don't have to pay my fine?" And feeling a little better, I smiled, "Yup, you're all taken care of sir. Have a good day." I think he wanted to hug me but instead rewarded me with one of the kindest smiles I've ever seen and a warm "thank you, thank you. god bless you." I walked to the car, still feeling a little sick to my stomach but trying to assuage myself with the thought that I had made someone's day a little better.

I really do believe that things come around full circle...and I do believe in paying it forward. There are times in life when we all need a little help. I am soooo blessed and fortunate in sooo many ways. I wish I could do more...A LOT more. But today, I did what I could. And tomorrow maybe, I'll do a little more.

Namaste.
Alikona

4 comments:

adam said...

You are my hero! I am not being facetious. Honestly, I only hope that someday I can do something as RIGHT ON as you did. At least for this week, you have restored my confidence that there are unbelievably good people out there. Pay it forward.

Alikona said...

Thanks Adam! That's so sweet, but I hardly think I am a hero...I just did what needed to be done. And it sounds like you would've done the same. ;) Always pay it forward...life, afterall, does move in circles.

It was kind of funny because the next day I volunteered at Way Too Cool and I helped out this one runner who needed someone to watch his son, who has terets (sp?) and a shade of autism. I was a tad nervous and didn't know what to expect but after some quick Q&A I discovered the boy loved to climb and explore...so I took him over to No Hands Bridge and we rock climbed and played in the river for hours. We both had the BEST day ever...and afterwards the dad was sooooo relieved and grateful that I could help. And I was just so happy that I didn't screw up! He said "you are my hero!" Funny how the term "hero" can take on so many different meanings to different people depending on the situation. [BTW, they are from NY/NJ and so I made some great new friends on the east coast.]

Hope you have a fabulous weekend!!

Alikona

Unknown said...

That is awesome...some of us really are blessed with big hearts:) You runners are kinda loco though:)

Peace

Alikona said...

Thanks Squirrel! Love your page and tats. But I still think you bikers are the loco ones...I'm perfectly comfy at speeds up to 10mph (running).

I got a killer Giant last season and had such a blast riding in Moab. Can you recommend any good trails out here? Don't know that I'll be around Ioway anytime soon...

Smiles!
Kna