Monday, May 21, 2007

I'm retiring...


My 27th birthday this past week was monumental for many reasons, but none of which had anything to do with my birthday. On this 16th day of May, 2007, I retired and officially abdicated my crown as 5 a Day Queen. In its place, I will don a new title, which I have been secretly working with the state to develop over the course of the past year. With the 2005 USDA dietary guidelines nearly doubling the recommended amounts of fruits and vegetables from 5 servings to up to 9-13 servings, 5 a Day and my crown naturally became obsolete.

(Pic: Me having way too much fun peddling fruits & veggies! Haha!)

From this point forward, I – along with millions of other Californians – will be Champions for Change. We have 3 simple rules:
1. Eat more fruits and vegetables
2. Be more active.
3. Speak up for healthy changes.
This new social marketing campaign empowers all people to make simple, yet important changes in their lifestyles to improve their health, their family’s health and their communities. We are using real-life “Champion Moms” as spokespeople – moms who are there in the trenches fighting childhood obesity. Down the road, we will expand to Champion Dads, Doctors, Teachers, etc.

For the past three months, I have been charged with developing the communication pieces to launch this new brand and to educate Californians about Champions for Change. (A statewide advertising campaign also launched (on my birthday!) and includes TV, radio and outdoor billboards, lunch trucks and transit lines.) With the extensive reach of the Internet, the WWW seemed the natural choice for communicating to mass audiences. And last week, I unveiled my latest project to California and the world via http://www.cachampionsforchange.net/ (and en espanol, http://www.campeonesdelcambio.net/).

I am quite critical of it in its early stages – but it is live (set many speed records to complete it in time), it is simple and it has enormous potential to grow, expand and (I think) ultimately become THE resource that people turn to for information about healthy lifestyles. Check it out and let me know your thoughts (constructive criticism, please). And keep in mind: while this is designed to reach everyone, it is targeted to serve the needs of low-income audiences (thus, lower reading levels, less technical components, photos featuring our target audience, not skinny Paris runway models). I welcome and appreciate your feedback.

Say good-bye to Queen 5 a Day. And give your regards to Miss Champion for Change.
Eat MORE fruits & veggies. Be MORE active. Live healthy. Live happy. And live long.
Alikona

PS – Oh, and given my workload over the past few months, I will take a brief “retirement.”

2 comments:

Camryn said...

First of all, it's a terrific website, your Champions for Change. I can't believe my little sister is heading up the communications for such an important social marketing campaign!?! You should take pride in the important work you are doing on behalf of California families. Whose a champion?!? Sunny is. Now go rest.

adam said...

I am glad you are JUST taking a temporary retirement because we sure do need your help in the nutrition dept.! Thank you. I like the website, especially some of the recipes, which I plan on trying out. I hope that your rest-vacation-retirement will be filled with tons of running through meadows of wildflowers . . . or maybe just a nap in the wildflowers!