Saturday, March 24, 2007

I Am My Mother's Daughter


Last Friday happened to be St. Patrick's Eve...not St. Patrick's Day...but EVE. As in, NOT the official Irish holiday renown for beer chugging and butt pinching.
It was going to be a full work/play day for me...one I lovingly refer to as my "library day" where I pour over research, write and otherwise kick it in SUPER casual work attire. And since it was also Day 2 of one of the one of the greatest sporting events EVER (March Madness aka the NCAA b-ball tourney), I was also planning to hang out with friends after work and (hopefully) watch those g.d. UNC tarheels lose in the 1st round like my poor beat-up Dukies. So...I had decided to do my run early in the morning from my parents house (which backs up to the American River bike trail) and then use their facilities to shower up before heading into work. My parents are used to this routine and although my dad whines about me drinking "his" gatorade, I think they rather like having me use their pad as a staging area.


There was nothing too remarkable about my run, other than that it was super humid and when I returned to the house 40 minutes later, I looked as if I had been swimming in the river not running in about 60 degree weather. And typical for a casual Friday, I was running on "Thomas time" which is at least 20 minutes late. ;) So I did the quick 15-minute cleanup (shower, dress, blowdry hair and mascara) and headed downstairs to give mom and pops a thank you kiss. But it took no longer than 2 seconds for mom and me to be doubled over in giggles...we had each dressed separately, without consultation on wardrobe, and here on the EVE of St. Patty's Day, we were wearing the exact same thing! Remarkable, we had each separately been to Target and gotten the $5 black t-shirt with green glitter shamrock...and on this day before st. Patty's Day, we had each (separately) decided to pair it with blue denim capris. We had even almost styled our hair the same way (although I don't usually have much of a choice in that matter)!! It was too hilarious, in a rather uncanny sort of way. Either I dress like an "older" woman or my mom is one cool, hip chick.
And let me say it again, it was not even St. Patty's Day yet....so what reason did either of us have for showing a little Irish spirit?!?!?! We're not even Irish!!! But here we were, passable as sisters, and sharing a sense of humor, fun holiday spirit and good fashion sense to know that black t-shirts always pair well with jean capris. ;)
As I drove off to work (now 30 minutes behind schedule), one thing became remarkably clear: I am my mother's daughter.
Love you Mom!
Your Sunny Bear


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a darling photo. I can't believe your Mom didn't buy Arlo a matching shirt too ")

beckyjsacto said...

You two are TOOOOO cute!!!

Camryn said...

Hi Sunny. This blog post is the best, so poignant. You are such a great writer.

Alikona said...

hey there girlies --

I know...mom should have bought Arlo the matching t-shirt. Love you girls mucho!

XO, Sunny