Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Work & Play


Yesterday I had one of the best work/play days...and it was also one of the longest days. I worked until 3 AM on Sunday night/Monday so I could make it all work and I am glad that I did. (I'm also a teensy bit proud of myself that in my aging years I could still manage to pull-off an almost all-nighter!!)

After awaking at 5, taking Teddy for a quick walk, and making my daily Peet's stop (where I briefly chatted with Carol and her yellow lab Exchange...what a name for a dog!!), I was off to meet up with my friend Catra for a 16-miler around Mission Peak. I arrived shortly before 8 and though the fog was heavy in historic Fremont, I knew the sun would be shining brightly once we popped up on top of the Peak. I had never run the Peak and must've said "Wow! Gorgeous! Awesome!" at least 20 times. (Thanks girl for putting up with all my "OMGs!") We did a little exploring, crossed paths with bullish cows, spotted osprey, peed in poison oak and talked for hours about anything and everything. A perfect morning!

So that was part of the play. Next up I jumped in the car and drove to Berkeley. First stop...the original Peet's store, of course!! I "showered" in the bathroom while waiting for my tea and changed into my "work" attire. Sipping my tea and basking in the warm sun (I just knew the sun would come out!), I people-watched and did some background reading for work. Then it was off to work....and today work involved kids focus groups. If you've never seen a focus group, it can be quite a trip! Talk about being a "fly on the wall." We were observing 9-14 year old girls and testing some stuff related to nutrition and physical activity. The first group included 9-11 year olds only...they were so cute! I got such a laugh at the stuff they had to say. The second group was 13-14 year olds and they were about as bland as a dry leaf salad with no dressing. You could've told them that Justin Timberlake was right outside the office and they wouldn't have moved. BOOOOOOORING! All I could think was, "Geez, I hope I wasn't this apathetic at their age."

So it was quite a relief when my "little" buddy texted me and asked when I would be done with the groups. Troy and I had been friends since I was about 13 years old...he was 5 at the time. We were on the swim team together and were pretty much inseparable. WE've stayed in touch all these years. When I went away to college, he would write me the cutest letters and draw me pictures. Now, he's the BIG one in college...swimming at Berkeley. He is such a stud and I am soooooo proud of him! And the coolest part is that he doesn't think I'm too old to still hang out. So when he texted me, it was like, "okay, enough work...time to play again!" I picked him up from his dorm and took him out to an awesome hole-in-the-wall Mexican place and then a stroll through the town. I just can't get over how mature he's gotten...my Troy Boy has become my Troy Man!

I dropped him back off at his dorm a few hours later and then "flew" back to Sactown (70 minutes total), where my Teddy was eagerly sitting by the door waiting for my return. We had s'more "Teddy time" and then it was back on the computer for just 1 more hour of work. Then lights out at 1 AM! I was positively exhausted but absolutely thrilled that I had accomplished so much work and play in a 20-hour spread. Now if only I can recover well enough to do it again next week... ;)

Namaste!

Alikona

No comments: