Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Don't Get the Best of Everything...Make the Best of Everything You Get

As early as 8 or 9 years of age, I can recall my dad telling me on the chairlift at NorthStar "Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst. And take whatever you get."

Well, JT...you're right. And these are indeed excellent words to live by.

But I'm going to one up you...because what are middle children for if not only to give you a head of gray hair?

Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst. And make the best of whatever you get!

JT probably meant something very much to this effect, but he's not quite the same optimist as I am. He's much more of a pragmatist or realist (e.g., If you don't get your hopes up, then they can't be brought down, right?) . And that's fine -- truly, it is. For him.

For me, I need something a little more... to add a positive spin to it, much like a newspaper editorial needs to spin a scandal. Don't just take the situation you get...take what you get and then make the most of it!

Because although I have seen only a fraction of a minutia of this great world, I have seen and learned that the happiest people are not those who have the best of everything...but rather those who make the best of everything they have.

I couldn't have arrived at this conclusion without JT's direction and his gentle nudges to go out into the world and "make us proud." So thanks, dad. As always, you are my numero uno. And someday...I will make you proud.

:0)

Your AllySunny

(Above: The Girls of Danskin...all 4 Thomas girls...and MOM...competing in the 2004 All Women's Triathlon. Wahoo!!! Even Thomas Girls are TOUGH!)

No comments: