Tuesday, August 14, 2007

An "Unofficial" Pattern?

In part because I was still upset for being a chicken on the downhill part of my Auburn ride, and because I simply wanted to explore new wilderness and be alone in thought for a few hours, I somehow managed to do another unofficial marathon this past Saturday. And I stipulate the term managed because: I was duly untrained, the event unplanned, and the course completely unknown. (Ever the girl scout, I was, however, completely prepared when I set out for the day.) To be sure, it was a defining example of my blossoming spontaneity. Or, I suppose it could have been the coupling of high altitude with some recently sustained brain damage that have me not thinking with a clear head.

Setting: the Tahoe Rim Trail between Tahoe Meadows and Twin Lakes (aka the new, unofficial TRT marathon)

After a hearty breakfast of English muffins (my family’s brand, of course), pancakes, fruit and potatoes (note all the carbs!), and like 10 cups of coffee, I had my good family friends, B&A, drop me off at the trailhead just off the Mt. Rose Highway. This part was intentional, because I wanted to be forced to make it back to the cabin on my own. No rescue calls, no possibility of truncating an out-and-back. Just me, the trail and an endpoint – to which I would have to return to no later than 7 p.m. for family dinner.

Some might find a couple of “issues” with this quasi-“plan.” For one, I had never explored this section of the trail. Two, I wasn’t exactly sure of the distance. Based on a hiking guide book I read a long time ago, I gauged it to be somewhere between 12-16 miles. And third, as it turns out, there are actually many different trails and routes – most leading ultimately to the same location – but still many different paths to take; and thus, exponentially increasing the odds of getting lost.

These were not issues for me. The north side of the lake has been my backyard for over 20 years. Though I may not have explored all of it yet, I feel like I know it like a treasure hunter knows his treasure.

It was just about high noon, a little breezy but highs expected in the mid-80s. B&A walked with me for about 10 minutes before turning back and leaving me to find my way back to Incline. In truth, I thought I might do about 15 miles – about a 4-hour hike. Finding a trail sign that indicated two routes – one to the TRT and a second to the Ophir Creek Trail – I decided to explore Ophir Creek first. I decided I would travel this for awhile and then turn back and hop back on the TRT. As luck would have it, I ended up on a 7-mile loop (no back-tracking!) through meadows and cascading creeks tucked just behind the Mt. Rose Ski Resort. The wildflowers filled the meadows, rejuvenating my soul with that sweet, intoxicating mountain air. I came upon at least 12 different people picking wildflowers, picnicking by the creek, or hiking with their pups. Interestingly, 10 of these were female “couples.” Hmmmm….a convention?

Upon completing the 7-mile loop in about 90 minutes (I fastwalked/climbed/jogged), I returned to the TRT where I soon came upon another sign indicating that it was 10 miles to the top of Tunnel Creek road – now that is a place I know!

I sipped on my Gatorade, adjusted my head bandana and found a good tune to hum along in my head (I think it was Ray Charles’ “It’s a beautiful morning!”) I soon discovered that this section of the TRT traverses back and forth between the mountains and splitting views of Carson City (and whatever lake/water reservoir is back there) and the actual lake, Lake Tahoe. The terrain was mostly rolling with sand, dirt and rocks – apparently a classic mountain bike course, from what I could tell by all the tire tracks. The trail was fairly wide for the most part, some sections more narrow, but the drop-offs not anywhere near as steep as other TRT sections (e.g. Flume Trail).

(Top: view of carson city/reservoir; Bottom; view of Lake Tahoe)
About 3:00 pm, I found myself glaring at chipmunk-- a cute little chipmunk! NOTE to any who run with me: crankiness is a tell-tale sign that my blood sugar has dropped lower than Death Valley. And indeed I hadn’t eaten anything in over 4 hours. Oops! So I pulled out an Apricot Clif bar and munched on it for the next half-mile. Given the wider trail, eating and walking was not much of a problem (though it can still be a chore when you’re a blonde like me!). I thought it would take me about 3 hours to complete this 10-mile stretch, so I was pleasantly surprised when the trail spit me out at the top of Tunnel Creek after only 2 ½ hours.

At this point, I knew exactly how to make my way back home – and if I took the most direct route, I could be home after a 3-mile downhill and a two-mile flat section (less than one hour!). But up high on that mountaintop, staring out over blue expanses of sparkling waters, I was feeling so gooood…and soooo not ready to call it a day. Instead, I found another series of trails – one indicating the Upper TRT, another the Lower TRT (to the Flume Trail), a third to Twin Lakes and a fourth to Redhouse. Seeing as how I had never been to Redhouse, I set out on the latter, thinking that maybe I’d travel it for 10 minutes before turning around and heading home.
But 10 minutes turned into 15. And then 15 turned into 20 and before long I was nearly 2 miles DOWN the backside of the mountain on a trail that looked like it hadn’t been traveled since last summer. Pretty darn cool! Luckily, I came to my senses and realized that whatever I went down, I would have to climb back up. So I turned around – and what a climb back out that was. Ironically, I ended up having to run a lot of it because it was so steep that it was easier to run at that incline than to hike it.

(Below: Amazing! This tree was wind-blown into this sideways position.)After what seemed like forever of oxygen deprivation, I summited the Tunnel Creek mountaintop once again and caught my breath. Phew! I still had not seen another hiker/biker/human being in more than 3 hours. Where was everyone?

Now, one of my favorite classic downhill runs to the bottom – passing through meadows, jumping boulders and flying around scenic trail corners that jut out into the blue mountain lake. I would imagine that this is what a kite would feel on a breezy spring day...if kites could feel.

As I flew down, I started adding up the miles and realized that if I took the direct route to my cabin, I would end up at about 24-25 miles. It seemed lame to stop there, I thought – thinking of how close 24 is to that magical number: 26.2. What’s 2 more miles? And with quite a few less brain cells than I had when I had started, I rationalized how great it would feel (mentally) to complete a marathon. I am truly a running dork!

With my “plan” alas in place (it only took me 5 hours to concoct a plan!), I mentally configured a route that would bring me to be about 26.5 miles – definitely a legitimate marathon. And the finish on this route would take me along one of my more favorite, serene sections of Lake Tahoe, near Hidden Beach, where I could pay homage to my favorite, lonely pine tree – which sits so perfectly on its own little island, apart from the rocky shoreline. I lovingly call it “my Christmas tree.” (PIC: My Charley Brown Christmas Tree!)
When I alas got down to the lake, I called home to let them know I was on my way (TG I did…mom was worrying!). I saluted my Christmas tree (its needles waved back, as it was very windy), ran along the shoreline, gawked at the giant mansions on Lakeshore Drive, and waved at the people driving past me, probably just leaving the beach after a playful day in the sun. As I passed mile “marker” 24.5, I started lusting for a cold beer and, still running, sent out an SMS to the crew at home to please put one in the freezer for me – I like my Downtown Brown COLD!

At mile 26, that nostalgic wave of knowing you’re soon going to cross a finish line and be able to say “Wow – I just did a marathon” rushed over me. The last half-mile is a climb up from the lake to our cabin near the golf course, so I would have to work for it. And I did – sort of. For I wasn’t racing against a clock or a person or even a cause. I wasn’t even racing. After an 8-week injury and a slow but gradual build-up period, I was simply recalling what it feels like to be able to run. And run. And run. And wow…does it feel good.

One happy runner,
Alikona

PS – I have now done 4 unofficial marathons and only 2 official ones….and I have to say that those unofficial ones have been a lot more enjoyable. A lot less stress and prep work in a spontaneously run marathon. Not to mention it’s a whole lot cheaper! :) (I’ve also run more than double unofficial ultras than official ones…notice the pattern?!?!)

7 comments:

adam said...

I like the re-hydrating in the driveway photos! It is always best to start in on the beer while still standing, basking the glow of a completed adventure. Great report!

Camryn said...

So that's where you were all that time?! Its wasn't just mom freakin' out, by the way. On the heels of our "what to do if you spot a mountain lion" discussion we'd had earlier, I'm afraid I was thinking the worse.

Good thing it was jut another marathon, you were doing... ;)

Alikona said...

Adam - I think I need to get a digital cam like yours...the camera phone just isn't doing the scenery justice. And I still cannot get over your pics of the Enchantments. Amazing!

Hamster - Hakuna Matata! What were you worried about? I mean, we just had that conversation so I knew exactly what to do in the event of a mountain lion. And if it didn't work, then at least I could be the one to take it for the team...the designated guinea pig. :) Besides, you're the one who needs to stick around because you're going to be the successful writer who will support the rest of the family someday. ;)

Sunny-bear :)

Anonymous said...

Hey AT,
The Redhouse loop and the TRT around there are some of the sections where I paced Julia in the TRT 100 miler. I didn't mind the steepness of the trail but didn't like the dust going down since we were running/jogging. Did you make it to the Red house at the bottom and see the board on the table with all the names? The "Julia Hot Ultragirl" is referenced double meaning in one of my Haiku I wrote for her 100 miler. Don't remember if I sent those to you.

Alikona said...

Hey Ielala -
Nah, I didn't make it all the way down...I figured it would probably add on a good extra hour if I did and I figured (rightly) they were starting to worry back at basecamp. Good thing I didn't because mom would've been pissed had I been any later. She needs to take a few pointers from you. ;)
I LOVED your TRT 100 haikus....how do they come out so naturally for you? This is my best:
one dorky girl
blonde muddy lost
giddy with nature

And I think I messed up some of the general haiku rules. LOL!

Anonymous said...

Ok, Alikona here is my interpretation of your haiku with my own twist:
One dorky blonde girl...
muddy, lost, running with joy...
beautiful in nature

(BTW haiku is 5-7-5 syllables)

So you figure out the double meaning of the third line. I think this captures you and why you make my heart smile. ;-)

As for your Mom, she's just being a mom and worrying like any good mom. You won't understand until you are one. You might remember that I told you once that my goal for raising my girls was to give them roots and wings! You are lucky to have good parents & family! And this comes from someone who knows since I had terrific ones too.

Camryn said...

I just need to add that you have mastered the trademark Paris Hilton pose. Hip cocked to one side, beer in hand, sultry grin.

That's salty hot.