Monday, August 20, 2007

Happy, Happy Birthday, Stevie G!

Those who know me well, know that I’m an uber-dorky history geek. From World Wars and the antebellum South; to the great Roosevelts and surviving war veterans; to ancient churches and old plantations; I just like old things. Old, ancient, historic – they simply capture me. I’m usually not too keen on remembering specific dates; I could tell you the exact number of Confederates and Union Army soldiers who died on the 3rd day of the Battle of Gettysburg, but I couldn’t tell you what date that actually was (though I think it was sometime in late May 1863).

But one date in history that does stand out in my mind, and which happens to be one of my favorite dates, is August 20. Why? Because on this great date in history, one of my dear friends, Stevie G., was born.

At times, Steve and I are like two peas in a pod; other times, polar opposites. Regardless, he is one of my favorite trail “dads” – having taught me so much more about life than simple trail/ultra running. It’s generally a challenge to make Steve chuckle (he’s a little rough along the edges). But when I can, it’s almost better than scoring the winning run. When life was rough at the agency, the one thing I looked forward to each week was our early morning breakfasts together. No matter how endlessly busy I seemed to be, Steve would find a way for us to meet up at the River’s Edge – one of the remaining few restaurants here in Sactown that opens before 7 to serve a good, hot breakfast of double-stacked blueberry pancakes.

Steve and I have had countless many fun adventures. From CIM bagel pick-ups and Run to Feed the Hungry set-ups, to fine dining in Tahoe, running Silver State on a whim and running up on that cat who had just made a fresh kill (deer)! (yeah...remember seeing that carcass along the side of the trail around Buzzard’s Cove for like 4 months?? Um yeah, Steve and I were there right after it happened!)


(Pic: Steve and I after the 2006 Silver State 50/50...he had talked me into running the night before the race And it was my first in over a year!) But one adventure that always comes to mind is the 2004 American River 50 Mile run. This race (his 3rd 50) was my first foray into this endurance sport which I have come to love so much – and Steve (and Luis) is a key factor why. Steve was determined each step of the way, always moving forward (even when he might have missed the cutoff at Rattlesnake), relentless in his pursuit to earn that prized finishers’ jacket. He was out on that course just about longer than anyone else (near 13 hours versus the winners who won in about 6-7 hours). It absolutely blew my mind to see someone so perseverant and ironically happy to be taxing his body so much. To see that a person could actually push his body that much was indescribable, jaw-dropping and simply remarkable.

I had the privilege of running with Steve for about the last 1.5 miles. I remember pacing in our other friend Luis (the last 25 miles) into the finish line, and then immediately turning around and running back down the hill to find Steve. I knew from Cheri that he had been having some “issues” - as we so call them in running – and I wanted to be his cheerleader, to help get him to the top. I ran down as fast as my tired legs would carry me, and I came around a bend and there he was - just chugging along, plugging his way up the hill. He yelled out to me, “Girl, am I glad to see you!” But he didn’t need my help – he was going to make it to the top whether I was there or not. He says I helped pull him through that last mile, but I didn’t do a darn thing. If anything, he pulled me up – because seeing him out there running that last 50th mile was the definition of inspiration.

So, thanks Stevie G. – you are one of the inspirations for why I run…and run long. You make me proud!

And because I like to be playful with Steve (to make him feel like a kid again), I chalked his driveway this morning with big “Happy Birthdays.”

Happy Birthday, Steve! And may all your dreams about little blonde cheerleaders come true. ;0)

FXO,

Kona

PS – BTW, I am not in any way implying by my intro that Steve is old…he is simply older than me. I just tend to naturally like anything/person/place that is older than my 27 young years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the big surprise, Ms Alikona! You should have knocked on the door and come in for a cup of coffee, I was awake. My neighbor, little Miss Jasmine's grandma, said that she came over to see what you were up to and was surprised to find out it was my BD. The driveway masterpiece definitely started my birthday off right.

See you tonight!

Alikona said...

Most welcome! And I hope you enjoyed the bbq...I sure did. Especially the leftover bday cake for breakfast the next day. ;) See you Friday at Eggie's.